Dad On Retire
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Email Whitelisting
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Thank you
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Stock
No Result
View All Result
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Stock
No Result
View All Result
Dad On Retire
No Result
View All Result
Home News

US appeals court blocks Trump contempt proceedings ordered by Boasberg

DadOnRetire by DadOnRetire
August 9, 2025
in News
0
US appeals court blocks Trump contempt proceedings ordered by Boasberg
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled 2-1 Friday that U.S. District Judge James Boasberg cannot move forward with possible contempt proceedings against the Trump administration.

The case involves the administration’s alleged violation of an emergency court order blocking the administration from using a 1798 law to summarily deport hundreds of Venezuelan migrants to El Salvador — the latest in an evolving, high-stakes court clash that has played out for months in various courts. 

Judges Gregory Katsas and Neomi Rao, two Trump appointees on the majority-Democrat bench, sided with the Trump administration Friday in blocking Boasberg’s contempt motion from moving forward. 

Judge Nina Pillard, an Obama appointee, dissented. 

The 2-1 ruling is all but certain to be appealed to the full court to be heard en banc, where the Democrat-majority bench is seen as more favorable to the plaintiffs, or directly to the Supreme Court for review.

‘The district court here was placed in an enormously difficult position,’ Katsas said Friday, writing for the majority.

‘Faced with an emergency situation, it had to digest and rule upon novel and complex issues within a matter of hours. In that context, the court quite understandably issued a written order that contained some ambiguity.’

Katsas noted that the appellate court ruling does not center on the lawfulness of Trump’s Alien Enemies Act removals in March, when administration officials invoked the 1798 immigration law to send more than 250 Venezuelan nationals to CECOT, the maximum-security prison in El Salvador.

‘Nor may we decide whether the government’s aggressive implementation of the presidential proclamation warrants praise or criticism as a policy matter,’ he added. ‘Perhaps it should warrant more careful judicial scrutiny in the future. Perhaps it already has.’

‘Regardless, the government’s initial implementation of the proclamation clearly and indisputably was not criminal.’

The ruling comes months after Boasberg originally found grounds to move on potential contempt proceedings in the case.

It comes as Boasberg has also ordered ongoing status updates on the location and custodial status of the 252 CECOT class migrants, after they were deported last month from El Salvador to Venezuela as part of a prisoner exchange between the U.S. and Venezuela.

It is unclear how many of those migrants had pending asylum applications in the U.S. or had been granted a ‘withholding of removal’ order blocking their return to their country of origin. 

The long-awaited ruling comes months after Boasberg ruled that the court had found probable cause to move on criminal contempt proceedings after he issued a late-night temporary restraining order on March 15 blocking the Trump administration’s use of the Alien Enemies Act to summarily deport certain migrants to El Salvador.

Boasberg had also ordered all migrants to be ‘immediately returned’ to U.S. soil, which did not happen. 

Despite the order, hundreds of migrants were deported to the Salvadorian prison, CECOT, in March, where they remained until late last month, when they were sent from the prison in El Salvador to Venezuela, as part of the prisoner exchange. 

Boasbeg ruled in April that there was ‘probable cause’ to move on criminal contempt proceedings against the Trump administration for failing to return the planes to U.S. soil and said the court had determined that the Trump administration demonstrated a ‘willful disregard’ for his order.

The appeals court granted the Trump administration’s request for an emergency stay of the ruling months earlier, prompting questions as to why they did not move more quickly on the motion.

 

Still, the decision is almost certain to be appealed either to the full circuit court to be heard en banc, or directly to the Supreme Court for review. 

The Trump administration for months has sparred with judges who have blocked the president’s executive orders from taking force.

Boasberg, in particular, has emerged as one of Trump’s biggest public foes. Last month, the court attempted to have him removed from overseeing the case and have it reassigned to another case — a long-shot effort that legal experts and former judges suggested is unlikely to go far.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

Previous Post

WATCH: GOP senators divided over whether Epstein documents are a distraction or a needed reckoning

Next Post

Bed Bath & Beyond relaunches with first store in Nashville, plans dozens more

DadOnRetire

DadOnRetire

Next Post
Bed Bath & Beyond relaunches with first store in Nashville, plans dozens more

Bed Bath & Beyond relaunches with first store in Nashville, plans dozens more

Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.
Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
AG threatens to sue nonprofit accused of going woke if taxpayer money isn’t returned: ‘Choice is yours’

AG threatens to sue nonprofit accused of going woke if taxpayer money isn’t returned: ‘Choice is yours’

February 10, 2023
Arkansas Democrat defends Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders amid attack from California’s Gavin Newsom

Arkansas Democrat defends Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders amid attack from California’s Gavin Newsom

February 9, 2023
Trump gears up for 2024 rally in Waco, Texas amid ongoing federal investigation, possible NY indictment

Trump gears up for 2024 rally in Waco, Texas amid ongoing federal investigation, possible NY indictment

March 19, 2023

Here’s why every American should be talking about politics and religion on Thanksgiving

November 23, 2023
US military bases that housed Afghan evacuees suffered $260 million in damage

US military bases that housed Afghan evacuees suffered $260 million in damage

0
George Santos scandal brings renewed attention to Biden’s fabrications

George Santos scandal brings renewed attention to Biden’s fabrications

0
Texas ranch owner near border catches men attempting to break into house

Texas ranch owner near border catches men attempting to break into house

0
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin diagnosed with ‘serious but curable’ cancer

Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin diagnosed with ‘serious but curable’ cancer

0
Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars

Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars

August 29, 2025
AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

August 29, 2025
Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

August 29, 2025
Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

August 29, 2025

Recent News

Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars

Lego hits record revenue in first half of 2025, boosted by brick flowers and cars

August 29, 2025
AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in Southern California

August 29, 2025
Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say

August 29, 2025
Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage fraud. That can be hard to prove, experts say.

August 29, 2025

Disclaimer: DadOnRetire.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Email Whitelisting

Copyright © 2025 dadonretire.com | All Rights Reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
  • Investing
  • Stock

Copyright © 2025 dadonretire.com | All Rights Reserved